4 night Cassowary Coast Escape Itinerary
An easy 1 hour drive south of Cairns will take you to the historical town of Innisfail known for Cane & Banana Farming, Fishing & Art Deco buildings.
Try some of the highlighted Must do’s during your drive.
- Mamu Canopy Walk – experience the rainforest from above
Innisfail Town Walk- pick up a map from the Visitors Information Centre in Innisfail or Mission Beach to discover the art deco walk of Innisfail.
30 minutes south west of Innisfail is
- Paronella Park – voted No. 1 Must Do (RACQ People’s choice) a beautiful castle created in the 1930’s by a Spanish dreamer, also great to do the night tour. Allow at least 2 hours.
- Stay overnight at lovely Kurrimine Beach just 30 mins south east of Paronella Park. A variety of accommodations are available.
- Horseride on the beach – back to nature
Murdering Point Winery – exotic fruits of the rainforest wines
During your 35 minute drive to Mission Beach you will notice Cassowary signs, please drive slowly as these endangered birds do cross the road regularly. Mission Beach has 14km of golden beaches and spectacular rainforests to explore.
- Great Barrier Reef – only 1 hour to the World Heritage Great Barrier Reef. Daily trips available, allow full day.
- Dunk Island – only 20 minutes by ferry or water taxi to Dunk Island a beautiful island resort set on the beach & Rainforest. Many watersport activities available. Try a Jetski Tour around the island!
- Day Spa – pamper yourself at the first Beachfront Day spa in Qld
- Skydive onto the beach – a fantastic adrenalin rush
- Rainforest walk at Lacey’s Creek – get back to nature on this interpretive rainforest walk and see some rare palms & possibly a endangered southern cassowary unique to the region
- Stay 2 nights in Mission Beach as activities can be full days. A variety of accommodations available.
Tully is just 25 mins drive from Mission Beach and offers some unique activities.
- Tully Golden Gumboot – iconic to Tully due to it’s high rainfalls
Aligators Nest – a beautiful fresh waterhole which locals and tourists alike enjoy. Great for picnics.
- White Water Rafting – best rapids in Australia, great for the adrenalin seekers
Tully Gorge – a great location for picnicing or BBQ, safe swimming, Rainforest Butterfly walk.
A leisurely 40 mins from Tully is the quaint town of Cardwell, well known for it’s fishing and muddies. Stop by at Murray Falls along the way. Enjoy an overnight stay in this beautiful region to explore it’s natural wonders.
- Murray Falls – spectacular waterfalls with boardwalk, BBQ, picnic tables & swimming.
- Cardwell Forest Drive – 26km round trip includes Cardwell lookout, 3 walking tracks providing 3 stunning views across the township of Cardwell & the Hinchinbrook Channel to Hinchinbrook Island & the largest mangrove everglades in Australia. Great for a picnic and enjoy a dip in the fresh waterholes.
- Port Hinchinbrook – perfect for a relaxed lunch at the marina
Enjoy a leisurely 2 ½ hour drive back to Cairns and stop by at any of the icons you missed on the way down.
Ensure you drop into the yellow i Visitor Information Centres in Innisfail, Mission Beach, Tully & Cardwell for further information on route. Please feel free to call prior to your trip if you would like us to pre book your accommodation and/or activities.
Visitor Information Centres Contact number
Innisfail – 07 4061 2655
Mission Beach – 07 4068 7099
Tully – 07 4068 2288
Cardwell – 07 4066 8601